Pages

Friday 26 September 2014

'Hurt' Younis challenges PCB to build team without him


Younis Khan, the Pakistani batsman, has lashed out at the 
PCB and selectors for dropping him for the one-day series 
against Australia and saying he is also "out of contention" 
for the World Cup. He challenged the selectors to build a 
team without him in the mix and said he will remain 
sidelined until the 2015 World Cup but will not retire.

"Don't select me, not even in Tests. I sacrifice my future," 
Younis, 36, said on the sidelines of the ongoing domestic 
T20 tournament in Karachi. "I am saying a simple thing, if 
they are saying that youngsters are future of ODIs, then 
where is the future of Pakistan in Test cricket? Don't select 
me in Test matches and make [the youngsters] the future 
of Pakistan in Test cricket too. But what will happen if they 
can't make a team for ODIs and Test matches after five 
months, will they again do recalling?

"I won't die and I won't be 70-year-old in four-five months,if 
they don't let me play with dignity then so be it. They have 
hurt me, they have hurt me when they said that players like 
me have no future. Then who has a future? So a player like 
me should shoot himself? When they are 35, 36, players like 
me wake up at seven 'o' clock, show commitment, I can do 
only this. Instead shoot ourselves, don't play cricket at all, 
don't play domestic cricket at all? I will wait for 4-5 months. 
They are saying that I don't have a future, I will wait, I am 
not retiring, I will wait, may this team go ahead, if they make 
the team [strong] I won't come back."

Younis was recalled into the ODI squad for the Sri Lanka 
tour in August, after a year and a half. But he had to leave 
the tour midway, to return to Karachi, because of the death 
of his nephew. In his only ODI in the series, he scored 3
off 7. 
While announcing the squad for the Australia series, 
Pakistan's chief selector Moin Khan said the decision to 
select Younis for the Sri Lanka series had "backfired".





0 comments:

Post a Comment